Friday, July 31, 2009

Long Hot Summer Nights

Sitting at the Meet Your Maker Indie Craft Fair here at the Pizza Reasearch Institute. Pizza is selling fast. Books and cards are selling slowly, so I thought I'd take a minute to catch up on the blog.

If you've been keeping up on my Facebook posts the past few days, you know that it's been HOT here. Triple digits hot. And you also know that my office at W&S is un-airconditioned. Not a wasteful person, really, but when temps get above 99, I start needing a speedy cool down, and there are usually three or four days every summer when air-conditioning is a definite must in Eugene. We even turned on the 1970s behemoth air-processor that came with the house. I wish I knew if it was safe.

Well, as the week has progressed, it has gotten cooler. Tonight, for example, it's a balmy 95. It's all about perspective, people.

Lots of new vendors tonight. I have my eye on a pair of earrings made from pineapple-shaped beads and a crocheted porcupine. I'm gravitating towards the absolutely adorable tonight.

And here's my latest:







It's a ReBound Book, from a new series called the Ghosts of Summers Past. I carve a little spot in the recycled covers for old slides from the 1960s and 70s. This one features the image of a man floating in a pool, and is dated September 1970.

I'm seeing a lot of folks tonight who used to shop in the old bookstore; Alice, John, Jamie, Bob, Olive, Marilyn . . . and that one older guy whose name I never knew, but who always wore a straw hat in the summer. It's my theory (untested) that only very decent people wear straw hats in the 21st century. I guess that theory is partially tested; there are the Amish after all.

No comments: