Monday, April 16, 2012

bright red book racks go faster

We have a bit of a book storage issue around these parts. Not only do I still have some of my childhood books hanging around, but I've collected illustrated kids books since my late teens . . . and things went from bad to worse when I started working in bookstores when I was twenty-one (a bookstore discount is a dangerous thing). And then, when you add in the kiddo's books and my husband's collection, the place has been pretty packed.

I actually have culled things down quite a bit in the past year or so, getting rid of between 10 and 20 percent of my own book collection (not counting the illustrated books, which I've passed on to the little dude). But still. Books everywhere. Which I like, but I've been searching for new solutions. Pinterest abounds with ideas on book storage, and I've tried a few different ones (which I'll share in different posts coming up). Today, though, I want to share this one with you.

First, I found a beat up old magazine rack on 1/2-off day at St. Vincent dePaul's (actually, I found two. I'll share the second with you in another post).



I sanded it lightly and then wiped it down with a little deglosser.



I hit the bottom with some cherry red spray paint, the after it dried, put three light coats on the top and sides.



Because it was raining or humid all week, I left it outside to de-fume for three days, then brought it inside to cure for another three days before finally filling it with books.




Now it's prettier, and, as everyone knows, anything red is automatically faster. It also handily wrangles a dozen often-requested books face out, so they're easy to find.

Thanks for stopping in! If you've seen some other awesome book storage ideas, you can post them in the comments section and I'll add them to my book storage pin board.

(p.s. you can make these photos bigger by clicking on them . . . but you probably knew that!)


Linking up to:

mop it up mondays feature

Our Delightful Home

Visit thecsiproject.com



5 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love it! The red looks awesome.

Linda Leyble said...

Hi! Thanks so much for your comment on my blog about my - kitchen - I really appreciate it!

Love the red! Looks fantastic. I have been meaning to add some red accents in my home as well. Oh boy - add another project to my to do list!

I have to whittle down the number of books that I have too - but having wonderful places like yours to settle them in to makes it more fun!

Cheers,
Linda

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

Isn't it amazing what a little paint and a whole lot of vision can accomplish. You turned something dated and ho hum into something bright and cool and interesting. I adore everything about it. I would also love to see those books of yours :)

amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com

Christa said...

Love the red! Definitely made it more fun!

Night Garden Design said...

Such a simple update, right? Thanks, everyone, for taking a look! (These racks are EVERYWHERE at thrift stores, too, so this project? Totally easy to diy.)