Friday, March 28, 2014

sketched storage ottoman upholstery

We bought a small wicker storage ottoman a year ago to replace a large upholstered ottoman that had been given to us with our couch. The larger ottoman never had storage, so it was pretty much a useless space hog.

This ottoman, though, has the disadvantage of being made of wicker in a house with cats. The top got pretty beat up in a short amount of time, so I covered it up!


I upholstered the top in painter's canvas, which matches the new couch pillows I made (more on that soon), but to tie it in to the Ikea curtain fabric, I also sketched on the top with a permanent pen.



The result is a little more sketch-y looking than the original, but I think it's a nice tie-in without being too matchy-matchy. I haven't decided yet whether to thicken up the lines or add color or anything; I'm leaning toward leaving it as-is, but things tend to evolve around here over longer periods of time.


If I were to do this project over, I'd use more batting to obscure the wicker, but generally I'm pretty happy with how this came out. I'm trying to convince the cat to use the scratching posts exclusively, but cats are notoriously unreasonable. Here's hoping the sides of the ottoman hold up!


Thanks for reading!

p.s. You can make these photos larger by clicking, if you'd like to see more detail!

No comments: