Friday, March 6, 2009

more making, less consuming

I didn't previously mention that I have some overlapping goals right now. My New Year's resolution was to be more organized and tidier (which I did mention). And more recently, while cleaning the house for a visit by the appraiser, I determined that the new art studio won't be nearly large enough for all of the art and craft supplies I currently own. So I'm selling or giving away approximately 20% of my stuff for Lent. 

I haven't given anything up for Lent in quite some time . . . it's an interesting experience, not being a religious person. But I've already culled about 100 books from my collection, and 10 bags of fabric, clothing, and art supplies I no longer need.

While going through all of this stuff, I came to the realization that I could probably make art all year without buying any new materials. So that's my latest part of the project. I'm planning to go the rest of the year without buying any new art materials, just using up what I already own and salvaging a few vintage materials, mostly for free.

My first project is exciting, and will be part of the spring line: I'm making books using vintage book boards (tossed at my job when old books are disassembled) and materials I already have in my house. I'm thoroughly pleased with the first one so far, and will post photos soon!

You're the bee's knees.

xo 

No comments: