Friday, February 1, 2013

and now for something completely different (thrift store finds)

All you need to know to explain this post:

Young House Love blog

+

Macklemore + Ryan Lewis' Thrift Shop

=



disclaimer: I am in no way hip enough to associate with these folks, but I'm gonna try to fake it.



(1) "Go to a thrift shop with – just as the chorus of the song says – '$20 in your pocket' and take a picture."




(2) "Spend your $20 any way you’d like and photograph your spoils."

Seen and left behind:

 small wooden sea gull plaque

pretty wooden mid-century chairs

sing-a-ma-jig cart distraction

glass insulators from electrical poles

antique red-painted carpenter's level at the Habitat ReStore

1970s macrame plant hanger

outing thermos in original box

Things that came home with us:

hand-carved unfinished wood duck: $1.99
The duck was promised to my kiddo for a painting project. We used finger paints to make it "pretty" because finger paints can be washed off later when he changes his mind and wants it to look different. Like when he finally decides to rinse his brush between colors instead of just blending everything till it looks muddy. You know: then.


birthday party streamers, turquoise, yoinked away mid-photo: 49 cents

hinged silkscreen frame with leprechaun screen: 99 cents

two pair old solid metal pinking shears: $2.99 each
The streamers and silkscreen will be used at his upcoming birthday party, and the pinking shears will come in handy for so, so many projects. I love the weight of old scissors. It feels like I'm making something serious when I use them. And solid metal scissors and shears are virtually indestructible, unlike plastic-handled pairs.


steel drawer insert from a Hoosier cabinet: $4.00
I have a similar steel drawer that I blogged about recently; I repurposed it as a wall cabinet and wrote about it in an earlier post. I think this one will end up in my Etsy shop since I don't have a place in mind for it yet. They have a lot of character, and can be expensive so it was a nice score.

old wooden doll cradle with leather headboard insert: $2.99
I picked up the cradle to fix up in a similar fashion as the one I made-over as a birthday present last summer. It's kind of a masculine cradle with a leather headboard inset. I might save it for the kiddo's stuffed animals; after all, little boys sometimes become dads later in life.

I also came home with a new hoodie, but it didn't photograph well with my cell camera in the mirror, so I'm gonna spare you a photo that's even worse than the others I'm publishing here. You're welcome.

The steel drawer insert and the cradle were from other days (drawer from Bring, cradle from Goodwill); the rest of the items were things we found today at a second Goodwill, the same Goodwill where, on previous trips, I've found a Cathrineholm bowl, a set of card catalog drawers, a Radio Flyer wood-side wagon, and a stop sign. It's one of my favorite treasure-hunting spots, but I only get over to that side of town every couple of months.


(3) Find one item (or more) referenced in the song and snap a pic.

I had big, brave plans to take a photo of myself in footie pajamas, but in the end, I couldn't wear someone else's pajamas without washing them first. So, that was a no-go.

Instead, I offer these:

house slippers

luggage . . . with Pooh on it.
Challenge complete! I'll be sure to post my projects made with these treasures as they're completed, so be sure to follow if you've been clicking through my links and like what you're seeing!

Thanks for reading, and thank you, Sherry and John at Young House Love, for a fun challenge. We always like a good thrift, and this one was, as the song goes, effing awesome. :)




No comments: