Friday, February 3, 2012

zelda invitations featuring our hero, link!

It's very difficult to find Zelda birthday party invitations, or anything to do with a Zelda birthday party, for that matter. For some reason, Mario is EVERYWHERE, while our valiant hero, Link, languishes in kid party obscurity.

So I made these from scratch. Or rather, from Adobe Illustrator, and paper, and my inkjet printer, and some foam mounting tape. But mostly scratch.




I found a few images of Link from the original Zelda game on-line, and, using the grid lines in Illustrator, drew out Link one little box at a time (using the copy/paste function and the eye dropper tool). Because I drew Link in Illustrator, a vector art program, Link can be sized up or down infinitely without added pixelation or distortion. Which means I can use this same image for the invitations, or t-shirt transfers, or stickers, or large character cut-outs, or posters . . . pretty cool, and one of my favorite things about using Illustrator over using Photoshop.




Next, I laid out my text, using two free fonts I found on an on-line font website (dafont, I think). One font looks like a vintage video game font; the other strongly resembles the font from the Legend of Zelda box. Love it!






I'll spare you the details; assembly was pretty straightforward. Let's just look at some more photos!
















(p.s. you can make these photos bigger by clicking on them . . . but you probably knew that!)





Of course, party details have been changed or omitted for privacy reasons. Now accepting clients for custom party invitations.

Pin It

5 comments:

Melissa said...

This is so neat!! My son is named after the Hyrulian hero, and the theme of his birthday party is tLoZ, but I'm having such a hard time finding invitations. I would love to do this, but I'm not sure if I am crafty enough. Great job, though!!

Night Garden Design said...

Send me an e-mail Melissa, and I can put some together for you at a reasonable rate!

ep_ak said...

I had a question regarding what you included in the invitations. I was confused about the I-spy checklist. Was this just a game? Also, the map, was this a map to your house? I am making Legend of Zelda invites for my son's birthday this month. Your reply would be most helpful! :) Thank you.

Night Garden Design said...

Hi! Yes, I should have explained. The party site was in a rural area about a twenty-five minute drive from town. To make the drive feel like less of a hassle, we included the I-Spy checklists as a car game, and gave awards to families who completed the checklist on their way to the party.

Night Garden Design said...

P.s. Yes, it's a map to the party site. If your party will be at your house, your map should lead your guests there! Or, you could leave it out. Whatever you have the time and inclination for. :)