Tuesday, August 21, 2012

progress (part two): a new closet door

Follow my blog with Bloglovin, if you'd like!

I promised to follow up my post about our thrifty guest room makeover with an update about the closet. And here, a little more than a year later, is the finished product.

I wish I had a "before" image to show you, because the new version looks so much better.



When we moved in, this little closet was unfinished looking, built of 1970s wood paneling and fence boards. Painted barn red. Aack. Trust me, it was U-G-L-Y. And though it doesn't need an alibi, I'm giving it one.

I added sound-proof acoustical board to the back; new shelf supports, boards, and trim to the shelves; and new flooring to the tall side, then caulked and painted everything in coat after coat of primer and paint. Already, it looked much better, but I wanted a door of some sort to cover up the storage. I saw someone use a roller shade as a closet door in a magazine (Living, maybe?) and inspiration struck: I started hunting down an old classroom map.



This one is just about the perfect size. It's a bit outdated (so the population chart at the bottom is really off), but then, so are the globes in my globe collection, and they're not hurting anyone (we teach the kiddo using a new one, so the older ones are just for decoration).

Does it count as a thrifty find if I scored the map on eBay? It only ran me $30.



And I think it looks kinda awesome.

It's pretty easy to hang one of these, if you can find one with the metal roller mechanism intact.



It's a simple matter of two s-hooks, two brackets, and some screws from the hardware store.



Because this is the spare bedroom, we use the closet to store excess canned food (no pantry + small kitchen lead to this sort of behavior), printers, camping gear, and the goods for my Etsy shop. We used to keep the stroller in here, too, but it's been outgrown by my two-year-old, so we donated it to the thrift store this week. One item in, one item out!


The best part, I think, is that I can set the map at any height to hide everything, or just the stuff at the top, or anything in between. It's pretty great.

Thanks for reading! Have you been doing anything awesome with maps lately? Do tell!

p.s. you can make these photos larger just by clicking on them, but you probably already knew that.


Linking up to:

Simple Design's Thrift Haul
Cap Creations' Thrifty Love
Southern Hospitality
Thrift Share Monday
I'm Crafty!
Mop it Up Mondays


22 comments:

Cap Creations said...

absolute genius! I love it, such creative use of the map and i do love the hardware showing too! great job and thank you for linking up at Cap Creations.

BeckyKay said...

I absolutely love this idea! You did great work!

BeckyKay said...

I absolutely love this idea! You did great work!

Jackie Kirner said...

This looks great! I can't believe the price you paid - I figured they were much higher priced than $30.

Hmmmm - thinking where I can use one now...

zigsma said...

Oh, I love it! What a fantastic idea and it looks great! Clever you!!

Kim Stewart said...

Thanks for this idea! I was at the elementary school on Monday, taking my art teacher friend a box of freecycled card stock, and I rescued a wall map with hardware from the top of the custodians trashcan. The map has an easy to repair minor tear about 6" long. Now I'm even more excited.after seeing your lovely closet.

Laura said...

Looks great! I am on the lookout for one of these maps to use as a window shade in my bedroom. I love that you're using it as a closet door!

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

This is brilliant. I love how it looks. It's PERFECT in every way. Really well done.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, this is BRILLIANT! Almost makes me want to go take all of the doors off my closets and go searching for school maps!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

This is a very cool project. Who cares if the map is old? Old maps are cool, just like your globes! I would also like to say that i love your blog design! I'm a night sky lover and I think your background is so awesome. Happy to be following you via GFC and looking forward to more fun stuff!

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

I have to say this is VERY COOL! What a great idea!
Liz

Night Garden Design said...

Thanks everyone! I will say: this idea definitely works best on a closet door that doesn't get used daily. But that being said, I hope to see photos if you decide to give it a go!

Cap Creations said...

Just stopping back by to let you know I've featured you today! Thanks for joining us!

Bianca Barrett said...

I soooo love this, I have been looking on Ebay for a map like this, but as a closet door SHAZAMM!! Thanks for the great idea!

Anonymous said...

I've never seen this idea - amazing! Of course that is a huge thrifty find (eBay totally counts) and I'm in LOVE with the whole look.

Tami Von Zalez said...

Cheers to an awesome idea!

Visiting you from MIUM blog hop.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

wow, thank you so much for sharing. I have this odd crawl space with doors in one of the bedrooms of our new home. I'm using it as a guest/playroom. I'm off to find a map. Thanks again!

Night Garden Design said...

Thanks, everyone! The idea came to me while shopping for roller shades. Sometimes ideas just hit you.

Art and Sand said...

I love using old maps. What a great idea!

Tashia said...

Very cool! I love it!

MB said...

Visiting from CSI - I love this idea. What a great use of a MAP!

Chiwei @ One Dog Woof said...

Beautiful! I saw this at The CSI Project and I hope I can find a map for my closet too!